Thursday, March 27, 2008

Confessions of a former stamp collector


The author of the Yankee Belle blog shares her #1 childhood secret with her readers - "I was a philatelist as a wee one."

"A philatel-what?!," she writes, "A stamp collector-but doesn’t philatelist sound more impressive? Sort of makes me sound like I was some kind of child prodigy, which reminds me of Doogie Howser, MD, the concept of which fascinated me as a kid (childhood secret number two)."

At one point, she had over 50 pen pals from around the world but regrettably she now confesses she was just using them to get their stamps.

"I can remember saving up my allowance to buy big bags of thousands of unsorted stamps from all over the world from the bookstore. I would go through all the stamps, convinced that I would find an Inverted Jenny or some other stamp that would make me rich, rich, rich! Okay, so I wasn’t a purist, collecting stamps for the sake of the stamps themselves."

To read the entire post, click here.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM