Friday, July 15, 2011

Purloined Mailboxes Prompt Federal Investigation


When I went to mail a letter yesterday at the drive-thru mailbox I usually go to in Glendale, Calif., I discovered that it was no longer there.

Angry and frustrated because I had to park and go inside to mail my letter; I figured it was just another one of those annoying cut backs in USPS service.

It was then I found out that it had been stolen.

According to NBC News in Los Angeles, "Four 200-pound mailboxes were stolen in less than a week at post offices in Glendale, Burbank and Pacoima, prompting a federal investigation today.

"The stolen mailboxes were bolted into a concrete slab and there was no way to know who could be vulnerable to identity theft, U.S. Postal Inspector Renee Focht told the Glendale News-Press.

"No suspects were named and the thefts appeared to be a "recent trend," Focht said. Investigators have not confirmed if all the incidences were connected.

"The agency has offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest. The public was urged to report suspicious activity at (877) 876-2455 or visit www.postalinspectors.uspis.gov."

For more on this story, click here.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM