Monday, July 30, 2012

Stamps Change Boy's Life Forever

"When he was 12 years old, Bert Raymond's life was forever changed by the power of a used stamp that probably had a value of less than a penny," writes Brice Stump on the DelMarVa Now website.

Raymond, now 87, is quoted in the article as saying, "When I was 12, my mother met a wonderful man and remarried. He was from Germany, coming here before World War I. He wanted to befriend me, so being a stamp collector, he bought me an album for about $1 and a packet of about 500 stamps for a few pennies, a packet of hinges and stamps tongs. He showed me how to sort the stamps and put them in the book. I really got into it, so, by 12, I was into collecting stamps."

He goes on to say, ""In school, between the ages of 12 and 15, I was a whiz in geography, history and current events because of stamps."

According to the article about 15 years ago, Raymond decided to become a dealer, while remaining a collector figures. He has about one million stamps.

Shown above, Raymond  with some of his framed topicals.

To read the entire article, click here.



Bookmark and Share
posted by Don Schilling at 12:01 AM